The Yorkshire College of Science was established in 1873, primarily to provide practical trade instruction connected with textile manufacturing.
The Clothworkers’ Company sponsored the establishment of a Department of Textile Industries and a Department of Dyeing and Tinctorial Chemistry at the new college.
In 1904, the College became the University of Leeds and the institution is now one of the largest higher education establishments in the UK and a member of the Russell Group of Universities.
The Clothworkers is one of the University’s longest standing supporters, and the close connection continues to this day.
The Company is represented on the University’s Council and Court, and senior members make an annual visit to Leeds to review progress, particularly in the two departments which it founded.